All recipes are not the same

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recently, I started organizing my cookbooks and setting them up like a library. I love cookbooks and I, like many foodies and cooking fanatics can read them like a novel. I had a little time on my hands before Thanksgiving this year and decided to look at the cookbooks I have from a number of different countries. I won’t go through all of them but I share some info about three. There is a Japanese cookbook( my ex purchased for me while we were living in Japan), an Ethiopian Cookbook(I purchased from the Blue Nile Restaurant in Ferndale, Michigan) and a Jamaican cookbook given to me by my niece.

There’s one thing that I noticed each of these cookbooks have in common. Each cookbook assumes that the cook has a rather intense background in cooking; speaking specifically to the seasoned cook. None of these books are for a novice. These are not your ordinary Betty Crocker Cookbooks and you must already know who to braise, chop fine and handle Scotch Bonnet peppers.

I think the lack of experience in the kitchen is one reason why people do not cook more creatively and stick to making the same foods day after day. I am forcing myself to use my creative juices these days because I find myself becoming bored with food. I never thought I would say that and I’m sure no one reading this Blog shares my view? Right?

What can be done to keep food from becoming a bore? Should we turn to a new cultural experience? Should we put some pep in our step and add curry and hot sweet paprika? I’d like to know what folks are doing to spice up their culinary love life.

0 comments: