Liquid Food

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

All of my life I have known about the wonders of liquid food. It is cheap, relatively easy to prepare, filling and almost always taste better the next day. Most folks will tell you that liquid food is alright, but just does not satisfy that urge to chew; I beg to differ however. Oh yeah, what is liquid food, you know, yeah you do…soup!

I can remember my mother making homemade soup as a child and it was always absolutely delicious. I like to think I make the best split pea soup on the planet and the best gumbo in the universe, but you’ll have to ask superman when he comes next year (2009) to save the world.

Have you every just wanted something to eat but just couldn’t put your finger on what you really wanted? I do it more often than not now that I am a baby boomer. I don’t like the taste of restaurant food, too salty; and I don’t care for the heaviness of Chinese, Indian or Italian. There are times when I just want something savory and smooth. Soup almost always satisfies my taste buds. My favorites are Buttermilk Bay Clam Chowder, Thick and Hearty Fish Soup, Silky Cream of Corn Soup, and Mama’s Smoked Turkey Split Pea with Diced Carrots. I have about 10 others that I won’t bore you with, but I can say, when times are tough and money is short, knowing how to pull together delicious savory soups is truly worth its weight in gold.

Do you have a favorite soup from you childhood?

I know the most inexpensive soup my mom ever prepared was split pea and my grandmother made a heavenly navy bean soup that was great with a side salad and hearty whole wheat loaf. Look this is the kind of food that feeds the body and soul and will last all day. In lean times, liquid food can and will see you and your family through the day, particularly if it’s hearty. Remember any soup can be enhanced with vegetables and bits of meat. For example if you don’t want to use ham in your split pea, purchase inexpensive packages of smoked turkey wings or legs. Remove the skin, cut off as much meat as possible and boil until tender. This liquid makes a wonderful stock and the meat will satisfy those carnivores who must at least see something that once lived in their soup!

0 comments: